|Foward by PDG Bill Keller:
As I put the history of District 13 OH1 together; I could not over look adding Lions Clubs International and Ohio Lions history to give a better understanding on how Ohio Lions and our current District was developed.
From a historical stand point, we must consider the Past District Governors of Ohio from 1920-present as our own Governors throughout the multiple times Ohio Lions redistricted.
On the Past District Governors website below, our Past District Governors who had seved in the
District 13 OH1 geographical are are highlighted. Many Past District Governors have served Northwest Ohio with honor and distinction.
Any additions, corrections, or additional history content may be sent to PDG Bill Keller.
1917:Lions clubs became a dream of Chicago businessman Melvin Jones. June 7, 1917 in Chicago Illinois, an organizational meeting was held and the "Association of Lions Clubs" was formed.
1918: The associations first grouping of the states into nine districts. Ohio was included in the Ninth District which included Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Eastern Wisconson.
1920: March 13, 1920 the first Lions Club "Cleveland Host" was organized and twelve clubs in Ohio including Toledo and Lima rapidly joined. The first district convention was held in Columbus, Ohio on October 14, 1920 and International President Dr. C.C. Reid presented those clubs with their charters. Dr. B.W. Beatty of Dayton was elected to be the first governor of Ohio Lions. Ohio is now known as "Ohio District".
|1921: The second district convention was held on May 25, in Dayton, Ohio, Dr. B.W. Beatty
was re-elected to serve as district governor. In July at the International Convention in Oakland, California, Dr. Beatty was elected as third vice president, Beatty resigned as district
governor and Orson C. Norton of Toledo (pictured left) was appointed to serve as district governor.
|1922: Lions International had redistrict the entire country and renumerd them, Ohio became known as "District 13". The third district convention was held at Lima, Ohio on May 24,1922. Delegates endorsed a plan for child welfare work to be carried out by the clubs. Orson C. Norton of Toledo was re-elelcted as district governor.
State conventions in District 13 OH1 geographical area.
|1923: The Sight Center of Northwest Ohio founded as "The Toledo Society for the Blind" was formed by members of Lions Clubs, the Community Chest and the Chamber of Commerce.
May 24, 1923 at the fourth annual convention in Akron , it was decided to take over as a district project the publication and free distribution of the "Juvenile Braille Magazine". It was voted unanimously to publish the magazine and send it to every blind child in Ohio. Note: The Cincinnati Lions Club had undertaken this project several years before.
|1925: June 29, the sixth annual convention of District 13 was held at Cedar Point in conjuction with the ninth annual International Convention. Helen Keller challenged Ohio Lions to become "Knights of the blind in her crusade against darkness."|
|1927: May 26, the eighth annnual convention was held in Toledo. The district was to be administerd in nine sub-districts, each under a Lieutenant Governor, thus the District Governor was relievd of visiting each club in person. Toledo Society for the Blind incorporated.|
|1931:When the twelveth annual convention was called to order in Lima on May 19-20, it was noted that fifty-nine of the sixty-nine clubs in Ohio were present, with a total registration of 600 Lions.|
|1933: During the fourtteenth annual district convention of District 13 of Ohio Lions held in Cleveland on May 22-23, the State was divided into two Districts to be know as Districts 13A & 13B and a District Governor was to be elected to serve each.
Past District Governors District 13A 1933-1940.
|1935: Guy W. Brentlinger of Lima, Ohio was elected to serve on the Executive Council Board of directors of Lions International. Dr. B.W. Beatty passed away.|
|1937: At the eighteenth annual Disrtict 13 convention in Toledo on May 16-18 a new District Governors organization was adopted. Each Governor was to have a Deputy Governor and a Zone Chairman.|
|1941: MD13 divides into 4 new sub-districts 13A, 13B, 13C and 13D.
Past District Governors of 13D 1941-1959.
|1945: Guy W. Brentlinger of Lima was ^elected to serve a two year term as International
Director at a special board of directors meeting on September 10, in St. Louis, Missouri.
Due to war there was no International Convention or District Conventions. Each sub-district held its own meeting for general business and election of officers.
^Some history accounts say elected other accounts appointed.
|1947:On May 23-25, 1947 the twenty-eighth annual convention was held in Toledo. This was the largest convention ever held up to this time. One notable highlight was the delegates of the convention endorsement of Guy W. Brentlinger of Lima for third vice president of Lions International. Brentlinger will be supported at the International Convention in New York city in 1948.
It was an outstanding year for Lionism in Ohio. 23 new clubs had been organized making a total of 207 clubs and 11,295 members. Two new Districts were added known as District 13E and District 13F.
|1948-1950: MD13 divides from 6 sub-districts to 7 sub-districts and adds 13G in 1948.
MD13 divides from 7 sub-districts to 8 sub-districts and adds 13H in 1950, the two previous re-districting cuts 13D in half.
District Conventions OH1 geographical area 1950-Present.
|1952: Ohio Lions Research Foundation created.|
|1954: The motto "We Serve" was adopted by Lions Clubs International.|
|1956: The Sight Center of Northwest Ohio receives a new building at 1819 Canton made possible by private donations from individuals, Lions and Zonta Clubs.|
|1957: Sub-district 13A divides into two new sub-districts 13A-1 and 13A-2. (no effect on District 13D)|
|1959: Sub-district 13F divides into two new sub-districts 13F-1 and 13F-2 (no effect on District 13D)|
|1960:Change in sub-distict designation from 13A-1, 13A-2, 13B, 13C, 13D, 13E, 13F-1, 13F-2, 13G, and 13H to sub-districts 13A, 13B, 13C, 13D, 13E, 13F, 13G, 13H, 13I and 13J (no effect on District 13D).
Guy W. Brentlinger passes away.
Ohio Lions adopt Pilot Dogs as a state project.
Past District Governors of Districts 13D, 13A, and 13E 1960-1969.
| 1961: Founder of Lions Clubs International, Melvin Jones passes away at his home in Floosmoor, Illinois on June 1st.
1961: Northwestern Ohio Lions Eyebank History.
1963: District 13I changes letter designation to District 13K, The reason not to be confused with MD131.
|1966:Another state wide redistricting took place and was done all over MD13 to make an equal distribution of clubs and membership among the sub-districts. This redistricting creates District 13A replacing District 13D and changes all of the sub districts letter designations. District 13A includes the following counties: Allen, Defiance, Fulton, Hancock, Henry, Lucas, Paulding, Putman, Van Wert, Williams, and Wood.
Ohio now has 447 Lions Clubs and 20,800 members.
|1967: Lions Clubs International adopts the Leo Club Program as an official program of the association.|
|1969: W.R. "Dick" Bryan of Doylestown, Ohio was electecd as Ohio Lions first President at the 52nd annual International Convention in Tokyo, Japan.
Ohio now has 481 Lions Clubs and 21,100 members.
|1970: Past District Governors of Districts 13A and 13E 1970-1979. (AKA Past District Governors of OH1)
|1980: Past District Governors of Districts 13A and 13E 1980-1989. (AKA Past District Governors of OH1)|
|1983: The Pandora Ohio eyeglass sorting center formed, the center collects and processes recycled eyeglasses for VOSH Ohio missions. Over 100,000 pairs of eyeglasses are processed per year since the center was started, and well over a million pairs of recycled have been sorted, cleaned, and filled by Lions volunteer workers.|
|1990: Past District Governors of Districts 13A and 13E 1990-1999. (AKA Past District Governors of OH1)|
|1993: James T. Coffey of Toronto, Ohio was elected as Ohio Lions second President at the 76th annual International Convention held in Minneapolis, Minnesota.|
|2000: Past District Governors of Districts 13A and 13E 2000-2009. (AKA Past District Governors of OH1)|
|2007: Ohio Lions District 13A received a grant from Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) and Ohio Lions Foundation (OLF) to assist flood victims in Allen, Hancock, and Putnam counties. Victims were able to purchase needed cleaning supplies, paper products, and other items to aid in the recovery process.|
|2009: Jerry Smith from Wauseon, Ohio was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 92nd International Convention held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 6-10, 2009
2010:Past District Governors of Districts 13A,13E and OH1 2010-present. (AKA Past District Governors of OH1)
|2016: A statewide redistricting takes place and was done all over MD13 to make an equal distribution of Lions Clubs and membership among the sub-districts. This redistricting creates District OH1 and changes the sub-districts letter designations to OH1-OH7, MD13 now has seven sub-districts. OH1 is composed of the following counties: Allen, Auglaze, Defiance, Fulton, Hancock, Hardin, Henry, Logan, Lucas, Mercer, Paulding, Putman, Shelby, Van Wert, Williams, and Wood. District OH1 has 59 Lions Clubs and 1,712 members*.
MD13 Ohio Lions has 418 Lions Clubs and 12,098 members*.
History researched from:
Ohio Lions History from 1920-1958 by E.C.and Alice Baum.
MD13 Redistricting History. Author Unkown.
The World's Biggest Doers-The Story Of The Lions by Robert Casey
Lions Clubs International Magazine "The Lion".
Pandora Eyeglass Center (website).
Sight Center of Northwest Ohio (website)
Press Release for Flood Relief 8/29/2007 by DG Dan Ritter.
MD13 History 101 (website) by PDG Bill Keller.
* Stats taken from MyLCI Membership Reports.
Newspaper articles taken from newspaperArchive.com or Newspapers.com, they have copyrights of thier own.